Our Lead Engineers get to take the lead on a project, supported by a Commissioning Engineer, the Project Designer and Project manager. If you relish real control and responsibility and have the skills to lead your team on a project, this is the role for you.
Working with your own team of Junior Engineers, you are the person who will deliver the project to the Client. Your team will be responsible for the termination and testing of all the cables and your collaboration with the Project Design team will give you all the information and support you need to get the project done.
We know that you need time to handover an amazing project and we schedule the amount of time from the outset. All the racks are custom built for you in our dedicated rack build department, carefully labelled and ready for you to test in your rack test time with your Commissioning engineer partner. Programming is done for you, tested with the rack off-site and delivered with our own transport team.
- We want you to check every cable is correctly placed, make sure the programming team are fully up to speed with the project, organise your team to get all the equipment installed on site, assist the Construction team to deliver the project on time, manage your team of junior installers (they will be after your job; let them impress you!).
- Lighting, AV, IT and all the other elements we are involved in on the project are your responsibility.
The project that you are given is YOUR project from start to finish and you and your team will stay with this project to completion and beyond. We don’t move Lead Engineers around between projects.
- We know that mistakes happen but we have processes to identify and rectify any that occur. As a Lead Engineer, we want you to work diligently to hand-over an error free installation for the Commissioning Team to work on.
- At Ideaworks we pride ourselves in working to the highest standards and it is your responsibility to see that this tradition is reflected in all of your work on site.
- Check paperwork, test racks and make yourself the go to person for the project.
- To make sure we continue to allocate the right amount of time for each step of the install, we have systems in place for you to easily report your time and processes for your team. Project de-briefs allow all team members to evaluate if they learned any lessons or could improve any process so that the next projects runs even more smoothly. We are dealing with ever changing technology and we need to work to keep our information up to date; you are the person who is best informed to help us do that.
- Communication and co-ordination skills are key to this role. You are pulling together information from a range of specialist teams within the company. IT, Lighting, Programming, Design, Satellite and Window treatments are all teams who you need to work with to ensure a great outcome. Each teams specialist skill set allows you to concentrate on the project. At this level, we know you can’t be an absolute expert in everything we do.
- As the key person on this project, we know you will want to take pride in demonstrating the system to the Client. We also rely on you to support the Aftercare Team as they take over the long term care of the Clients home. You may be called upon to provide additional support to the Aftercare team until they have the same intimate knowledge of the project that you have. Yes, maybe the odd late night call, but we are all trying to build a loyal Client and provide them with the best support we can.
- We will provide as much training as we can squeeze into you. The better trained you become, the more valuable you are; the better salary you command. There are plenty of opportunities to move up to Commissioning Engineer level if you can prove you have the skills; maybe we can give you those skills.
- At this level, the least we expect a Lead engineer to be able to do is program the lighting control, do basic IT set-up, modify a Crestron program, connect and test the pre-built AV/IT racks, install the room equipment to a very high standard, set up cameras, program the telephone and door entry system and work with the Site Electricians to get all the works completed ahead of commissioning.
- There is paperwork. We need you to work alongside the Design Team to make sure the project is fully documented and recorded so our drawings of record are accurate, latest programs are backed up, cables neat and labelled, O&M manuals compiled and notes taken ready for the project de-brief.